I got to go to the first ever Young Women's Girls Camp of the Kalgoorlie Ward on September 20th to the 21st. It was so much fun to be a part of and a great bonding experience for the girls. I was a little nervous to camp in the "outback" but it was just fine. There weren't any poisonous snakes or spiders that I saw. Also no creepy marsupials freaking me out, that I saw. I'm sure they were there, but I didn't see any. The most annoying thing about camping in the outback were the pesky flies! They are seriously a breed of their own down here. Their persistence never ceases to amaze me. But other than that, it was a really nice experience.
Here are some fun photos of our campsite, the hike we took, some activities that we did and the dam we swam in.
The camp grounds.
You got to love the young women's pres singing to the girls to wake them up. :)
Some girls slept in the bed of a truck...crazy!
Here's a collage of the girls hiking. There was this stone altar at the top. It was interesting.
Gotta love the tie dye shirts hanging out to dry.
Here is the cool cave that we hiked to. It was very structurally unsound. There was a sign warning that it could collapse at any time and to enter at your own risk. Of course, it didn't stop any of the young women. Or me, obviously.
There were a bunch of these little ponds everywhere on the mountain and they were just full of tadpoles.
Probably can't see them, but they're there.
We all took turns holding them.
Here is the dam we swam in. We swam in the morning and then after our afternoon activities we came back again and swam again before the sun went down. It was freezing, but so fun.
This is the skeletal remains of a yabbi, apparently people here bring nets and put them in the water then come back and get the yabbis they caught and cook them and eat them on the fire. All of the girls wanted to do it, but none of them wanted to carry the yabbi nets on the hike. Haha, so we didn't.
Here were our afternoon certification stations.
This one was mine, fire safety and sanitation...boring! :)
Rock necklace making.
First aid.
And campfire cooking.
We also had a lantern making station, here they are all lit up. Pretty cool, huh?
And here are just some round the camp fire pictures, gotta have those! :)
Yes, I made them all sing, and no they didn't know a single campsong! We will work on that for next year!
I thought this was a great artistic photo, with the campfire, the gat (guitar) and the young women's camp manual. Just about sums up girls camp. :)





























"Creepy marsupials"... Bwahah! You are hilarious. ;) Also, how cool!
ReplyDelete